Our mission is to maintain an intellectually stimulating and supportive environment for students and faculty that:
- offers every UNC Asheville student the opportunity to learn the mathematics important to a modern liberal education
- ensures that students set high goals and receive the education necessary to achieve these goals, and
- encourages faculty to grow as teachers, scholars and active members of the community.
Student Learning Outcomes
As part of fulfilling this mission the Mathematics & Statistics department strives to achieve the following student learning outcomes
- Students completing a degree in mathematics will demonstrate a solid foundation in mathematics which exhibits both breadth and depth of knowledge.
- Non-mathematics majors completing general education mathematics courses will demonstrate an understanding of the roles played by mathematics in society at large.
- Students completing a degree in mathematics will demonstrate the ability to communicate mathematical concepts effectively through oral presentations and written exposition.