State Mathematics Finals: Western Region
The math department supports the North Carolina State Mathematics Contest. Every year students from all over Western North Carolina converge on UNC Asheville to participate in the Western Region finals.
1. In order to participate you must have must scored in the qualifying range at a regional testing site.
2. To register for the Western Region State Mathematics Contest please use our Online Registration form.
3. There is no registration fee for the exam this year.
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am — Registration in the lobby outside of Rhoades Robinson, 125
- 10:45 am – 11 am — Orientation in the Rhoades Robinson, 125
- 11 am – 12:20 pm — Contest takes place in the Rhoades Robinson, 125
- 12:30 pm – 2 pm — Lunch (Students are on their own – there are a number of restaurants near campus on Merrimon Avenue)
- 2 pm – 2:15 pm — Award Ceremony in the Rhoades Robinson, 125
Exam Instructions (including link to parking permits and location)
Level I, II, or III Contestants
Contest Day Check In
Registration for the contest will be from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. the day of the exam in UNC Asheville’s Rhoades Robinson Building, Lecture Hall 125.
Visitors can register for their permit and will park on a first come/ served basis.
If you are driving a bus please give Public Safety a call @ 828.251.6710 five to ten minutes before arriving on campus. We want to avoid having the bus load/unload in the roadway.
Fees and Expenses
There is no registration fee. Lunch is on your own. There are also a number of fast-food restaurants within easy access of the campus.
Testing and Grading Procedures
Testing will begin about 11 a.m. and last for 80 minutes. The examination will consist of 40 questions with five possible answers each. Contestants should work independently. All testing materials will be provided. The contestant’s score will be determined by counting the number of correct responses, multiplying the total by 4, and adding the number of blank responses to that total. In case of a tie, select problems will be used to determine the winner.
No calculators are allowed.
Afternoon Schedule – Announcement of Winners
The winners will be announced at 2 p.m., when we present trophies and certificates. The activities of the day should conclude by 2:30 p.m..